On Saturday Jan 27th, 2018 Austin Stacks Hurling & Football Club’s calendar of Centenary Club Events (1917-2017) was completed as a mural ‘Street of Champions’ was officially unveiled on the gable of no 20 Urban Terrace at 12 noon.
Historically Urban Terrace holds a unique place in story of Austin Stacks as it was from this terrace of 20 houses that 21 Senior All Ireland Football medals were won by Austin Stacks players over a period of 18 years. Although the club has grown substantially over the years it is on this Street – the original ‘Street of Champions’ – that the seeds of success for all the great players and teams who have worn the Austin Stacks jersey down through it’s 100 year history were set. Our heroes gone but never forgotten:
The Urban Terrace All Ireland Medal Winners in that period of 18 years are:
• Micko Doyle (5 medals – 1929/30/31/32/37 no. 5 Urban Terrace
• John Joe Landers (5 medals – 1929/30/31/32/37) no. 7 Urban Terrace
• Tim Landers (5 medals – 1931/32/37/39/41) no. 7 Urban Terrace
• Jimmy Gorman (3 medals – 1939/40/41) no. 10 Urban Terrace
• Billy Landers (2 medals – 1924/1932) no. 7 Urban Terrace.
• Gal Slattery (1 medal – 1926) no. 2 Urban Terrace.
Austin Stacks Club wish to thank Kerry County Council, EF Signs and especially the Tansley family who live at No.20 for their kind permission to erect the sign.